Welcome to Stealin' Groceries!

If you want to save hundreds of dollars on your grocery bill each month and find the best deals in Utah, you have come to the right place!

Monday, May 3, 2010

Tips on Shopping at Rite Aid and Walgreens

Last night was one of the worst trips to both Rite Aid and Walgreens...Ever!
I wanted to give you all a few pointers that helped me last night. I have posted about them before and I am sure you have heard of them- this is just a reminder.

Rite Aid- You must have the new Wellness Program Card to get their deals. The Cover Girl B1G1, in order to get that deal you must have the Card before you get the discount. You can sign up online or in the store. Just remember everyone behind you if you are standing in line to fill out your form and making people wait.


Walgreens- Remember that you need 'filler' items. The way their program works at the cash register is that you must have the same number of item being purchased as you do coupons. The Register Rewards count as a coupon. Example: If you are buying three cake mixes, you have three manufactured coupons for the cake mixes and two Register Rewards. You must buy two filler items for all the coupons and Register Rewards to work. Most of the time you can find candies for $0.19-$0.50 that make for good filler items.
This week there are a few other good filler items for Walgreens:

Scotch Tape 1/2×12.5yds. or Scotch Mailers 4×7-8.5×11 $0.39
Use Walgreens weekly in-ad coupon (limit 3)
Corner Office Writing Tablet or Steno Pad 6×9 in. or Mead Envelopes 40-100 pk. 
(excludes Press-its) $0.69
Use Walgreens weekly in-ad coupon (limit 3)
Walgreens Aspirin 100 ct. $0.49
Use Walgreens weekly in-ad coupon (limit 3)
Remember to use your Register Rewards first and then your in store coupons and finally your manufactures coupons when you are checking out.
Do you best to shop early in the week to avoid product being sold out and having to run to several Walgreens to find everything that you wanted or needed.



Know what your out of pocket (OP) total should be before you start shopping. I knew that when my total was $18 last night at Rite Aid that something had gone wrong. I knew everything I was getting was 100% free and I should just be paying sales tax. I did let the line that had formed behind me go ahead ( my kids were at home, so I had the time :) Then I calmly went back to my cashier and told her something had gone wrong. She told me that she just did what the computer would allow and that she is following their coupon policy. I then pulled out their coupon policy and showed her right on the policy where it said if the store had a B1G1 free and I have a coupon for B1G1 free, both items will be free. She said something like - well your total was $190.00, now only $18.00- that should be good enough!
I stayed friendly ( really getting upset and frustrated does no one any good ) and said yes that is a great deal, however I came in here to get everything for free, so what can I do to help you so we can get this worked out? It ended up working out and I paid just the sales tax.

Know how much your coupons total up to. This is an easy way when the cashier hands you the receipt to check and make sure you got all your coupons accounted for. I always watch and make sure the prices are ringing up for what they should. Then I hand them my coupons- I know that I have $X amount in coupons and almost always know what my OP will be before I pay, however this is a great way to just easily check at the bottom of your receipt and see that yes all $X of my coupons got scanned and worked. If they did not just ask the cashier to pull back out your coupons because something did not get scanned and they can fix it right there or will send you to Costumer Service with your coupons and receipt.


Know what the coupon means. Know the wording of the coupon as well as what their ad says so there is no surprises. At Rite Aid last night the cashier told me the coupons said one per item and of lesser value, I knew just where that was going and how to explain to her what one per item means and that the lesser value meant nothing do to the fact I was getting both for free.


Know the store policy. I do have them with me all the time just for times like Rite Aid last night. I will go months without ever having to pull it out, however on the one or two times that I have had to, it saved me a lot of money. Not only do I have the coupon policy with me, I make sure I have read it and understand it. If I have had questions I will ask a manager, and their response will very from store to store - most of the time it does help me understand if I was confused.

Get the deal. The only reason I will be at the store is if I am getting a great deal. I make sure I get that deal. If not, I probably would not have gone or gone somewhere else. I don't feel bad for making a cashier fix something. Even if it is just for a few dollars. If I pay that few dollars it was not as good as a deal as I was thinking and might have made me not even go shopping. I don't feel bad when there is a line behind me and I have coupons and that takes a few extra minuets. Just know that 'cashiering' is their job and they should be happy to do it. If it take 3 minuets or 45 minuets, that is why they are there. If you are confused on something, just take a second and think it through. There are many times that I see someone hand over a handful of coupons and the register makes a 'buumm' sound and the lady just says oh never mind I will use it next time. If the register makes a 'buumm" should with me, I ask to see the coupon ( I know it is hard to believer, however we make mistakes too ;) and then if everything is ok I then hand it back to her and say yes I got one of -whatever- and just expect her to make it work.

Use 'good' coupons. Make sure your coupons have not expired. Make sure you read them and understand if it is for one item or two items. I know a lot of cashiers will just push any coupon through and I love those cashiers. I also know that if we abuse the coupon system it could be the end of coupons. Just make sure your coupons are 'good' coupons and you are using them right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.