Welcome to Stealin' Groceries!

If you want to save hundreds of dollars on your grocery bill each month and find the best deals in Utah, you have come to the right place!

Friday, September 17, 2010

Costco vs. Grocery Stores

I went to lunch today with my mom and she 'needed' to go to Costco.
After a few minuet discussion I agreed to go with her.
I know, I know- I don't love Costco. Why would I go to Costco and save maybe 10% or 15% when I can save well over 50% at the grocery store?

Here is how my mom talked me into it- 
My mom- Well... their new coupon book coupons can be used today and I needed to get a few things.
Me- Mom you are not going to save money there with or without a coupon!
My mom- ............They have pumpkin pie that you can eat!  After today you are doing that 30 Day Shred and Weight Watchers... so we can go get a FREE sample.

OK so I am a sucker. However during her thinking time of what to say to get me to go with her I thought what a great time to compare and see if you really do save money at Costco. 

Here is what I found-

Costco Fruit by the Foot Variety Pack 42 ct. $9.99
  Use $2.50/1 Q from Costco coupon book (mailed to you if you are a member)-limit 2
 You pay $7.49 
That breaks down to $0.18 a piece.

Smith's Fruit by the Foot 10 ct. $1.00
  Use $0.50/2 Q from General Mills 8/8 or 9/12
 You pay $0.75
That breaks down to $0.08 a piece.

Costco Kirkland Signature Diapers 168 ct. size 5 $39.59
  Use $5.00/1 Q from Costco coupon book (mailed to you if you are a member)-limit 2
 You pay $34.59
That breaks down to $0.20 a diaper.

Rite Aid- 3 packs of Huggies Pure & Natural for Free!
 Go here to read how.
That breaks down to $0.00 a diaper!

Costco Cinnamon Toast Crunch $7.99 (? I did not write it down-I'm going off memory)
  Use $2.00/1 from Costco coupon book (mailed to you if you are a member)-limit 2
 You pay $5.99
That breaks down to $2.99 a box.

Smith's Cinnamon Toast Crunch $3.19
  Use $1.00/2 Q from General Mills 8/8 or 9/12
PLUS
  Buy 4 box of General Mills cereal and get $6.00 taken off at register.
 You pay $1.19 wyb 4
That breaks down to $1.19 per box.


Costco DayQuil 60 ct. $8.89
  Use $3.00/1 from Costco coupon book (mailed to you if you are a member)-limit 2
 You pay $5.89
That breaks down to $2.95 per box of 30 ct.

Walgreens DayQuil 30 ct. 2 for $10.00
  Use $1.50/1 Q from P&G 8/29

   Transaction Idea-
     Use 2 $1.50/1 Q from P&G 8/29
    You pay $7.00
     Get $5.00 in Register Rewards
   Final price $2.00 for 2
That breaks down to $1.00 per box of 30 ct.


I could have done more comparisons but I was not prepared. This is just want I saw looking though Costco's coupon book and what I had seen in the ads for this week. However as you can see the 4 things I did do you will save way more at the grocery store. Not to mention that to even get the Costco price and coupons you need to be a member- and that will cost you! 

Do you save money at Costco?? I would love to hear your opinion. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.